Sunday, July 01, 2012

5 Generations Back

We took a two hour train through the English countryside to the university city of Oxford. I think we've already over-used, "Look at that beautiful building!" in only two days on the continent.
 
The BEST part of this day (for me) was finding the house my Great, Great, Great Grandparents lived in during the 1800s. We found a bus that took us to the Headington neighborhood, walked down a little street, turned right and there was the little black door with the address "1 North Place." I can't quite describe the experience... it was almost as if we had solved a little mystery... but more than that, my ancestral past was physically tangible! It all became so real! Here's Andy and I in front of the front door.
 
 
Next, I knocked on the door! A man named Mr. Small answered and after a quick explanation, he and I enthusiastically exchanged everything we knew about the history of this address. It was surreal! He was extremely kind, invited us in, explained where additions were made and after seeing the house, he practically followed us outside to share more about the adorable neighborhood! Here he is... (I am still in shock here ha).
 
 
Here's the church my ancestors, John and Pricilla, attended just a five minute walk from their home. We attempted finding their graves but the inscriptions were so worn they could barely be read.
 
 
 
Dad, I hope you enjoyed this post and am so glad you encouraged us to go! It was SURREAL! Below are some more pictures of our Oxford adventures that day, which included being touristy in a telephone booth, picnic in an empty University courtyard, an afternoon cream tea, wandering and admiring buildings and finishing off the day with fish & chips at a pub C.S. Lewis and J.R.R. Tolkien frequented.
 
 
 
 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment