Thursday, July 19, 2012

The Hills ARE Alive!

EEEEEEEEEEK!! Ok so, I am a huge fan of "Sound of Music". I've never really been a "die hard fan" of sports teams, actors/actresses, movies, bands, tv shows, etc... but the captivating, musical, historical, teacher-y, family story in SOM has thrown me into a die hard love! The SOM soundtrack was playing in my head practically the entire time we were in Salzburg (even in Vienna a bit).

Beyond my love for the movie, Andy and I seem to have highlighted moments in our relationship with SOM parallels. Our first kiss involved a little dancing in a gazebo, similar to Lisl and Hans in the "I Am Sixteen" scene. One Christmas, he surprised me with tickets to the SOM play production in Toronto. He proposed by reading me his personalized version of "My Favourite Things". On our wedding day, I walked down the aisle to "Edelweiss" and a family friend played SOM favourites on the piano during our reception.

The tour took us to many sites where the "Sound of Music" was filmed throughout Salzburg. I was grinning from ear to ear and at points wanted to burst with excitement as I replayed all of the scenes and excitedly whispered them to Andy! I could go on and on, but instead, I will just post the pictures and maybe add a few comments too hehe...

 
Remember the children falling out of the boat here? The pictures above are from the back of the house, as used in the movie. However, they used a completely different house for the front of the house. We didn't stop here but I took pictures of the yellow house with the wall that Maria walks next to, singing "I Have Confidence".

 
Remember the children hanging out of the trees as their father and the baroness drive in?

 
The gazebo was given as a gift to the city of Salzburg, for the movie production team. It has been refurbished and relocated to beautiful gardens just outside of the city centre.

 
This is the abbey where Maria comes from... tourists are not allowed in so we just drove by.



Then we drove out to the Alps, where the hills ARE alive with the sound of music! It was a beautiful drive... Here are some pictures of the scenery...

 
We stopped in a small town that holds the church the captain and Maria get married in. It sure is beautiful inside! In town, we bought a famously delicious apple strudel and ate it by the lake.

 
We would definitely recommend the tour company. Our guide was very entertaining and almost seemed like he himself was a character from one of the scenes as he was dressed up in a suit and tie.

 
After the tour, we were dropped off at Mirabell Gardens in Salzburg. These gardens were used to film "Do Re Mi". Andy graciously enjoyed taking pictures throughout the garden, reenacting scenes from the song. I had so much fun!! If you want to appreciate these more, YouTube "Do Re Mi scene from Sound of Music".

 
- Julia

 

No comments:

Post a Comment